Beef jerky is a great snack.
Its healthy, flavoursome, and gives you a little burst of energy. I never follow a recipe, so everything is quantity based and taste based. I use a dehydrator to dry the beef, however a light box will be just as good (if not better), it just takes longer.
If I had to roughly write down what I do, this would be it:
- Put into a bowl ~2 tbsp each of Soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Add in ~1 tsp malt or brown vinegar, and ~3 tbsp sugar. Mix till dissolved, taste and adjust as necessary until you have a nice flavour.
- Add in any other flavours you like. I will usually add a combination of chilli, smoked paprika, smoke water, coriander seeds (ground), onion or garlic powder.
- Cut ~1 -1.5 kg beef (try to get a topside or silverside) into strips ~1x1cm, as long as you like.
- Trim any fat off.
- Soak the beef in the sauce for 2-3 hours, making sure it is all well mixed.
- Place beef into dehydrator/light box, turn on and leave until you are happy with the toughness of the jerky (I like it tough, so ~24 -36 hours in the dehydrator). Also make sure it is preserved well enough to avoid food poisoning.
Couldn’t be easier,
Here are some additional Jerky recipes and more from Ben: