This dish by Ben is one of his favorites and he says you can easily double the recipe so you have leftovers for tomorrow’s lunch :).
He got his friend Louise to road test the recipe recently using these steps:
- So get a butterflied chook from the butcher and brine (see Ben’s Brining Tips for how) the chook overnight.
- Dry the skin with paper towel and leave it in the fridge uncovered for the day.
- Make a rub with:
- 2 x red Chili
- 2 x cloves Garlic
- 1cm sq lump Ginger
- Small bunch Coriander or 1 tsp powder
- 2-3 tbsp Honey
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 x Lime juice and the zest of ½ a Lime
- a slug of vegetable oil
- ~1 tsp salt
- Rub the chook about 2 hours before cooking.
- Cook on bbq (charcoal preferred):
- Start with the skin down until it is crispy.
- Then turn bone side down, shut the lid and cook at ~150/180 till cooked.
The preparation stage is what makes this dish so tasty:
After cooking it will look as awesome as Louise’s:
Enjoy everyone and thanks again Lou,
See more of Ben’s posts here.
Hot Tip: You can recover the chicken bones to make bone meal for your garden.
You can use this like button without having to log in.