Marroning is a lot of fun and if you pick the right spot you should come home with a good feed. I want to share some tips with you.
- use legal pots.
- not take undersized marron.
- stick to your possession limit.
- buy a licence for the season and have it on you.
- visit the Department of Fisheries website for the latest rules http://www.fish.wa.gov.au
Marron Hunting Tips
Use the right bait. I use cheap dog food wrapped in old stockings. These I tie to the base of the pots.
Pick a spot that exhibits marron holes in the bank and if hunting during the day look for deep drop-offs that provide darker water.
Check your pots every 45 minutes or so. If you catch any make sure to measure the carapace and only keep those bigger than the minimum size.
Put your live catch on ice kill them humanely.
This guy was just short so he went back in.
That is better 🙂
Leave your spot as clean if not cleaner than when you arrived.
- see all recipes using marron here
- see more seafood posts here
- see more meat posts here
- See more from Craigo here
Please consider subscribing to get a weekly email summary of our posts.