The hardest part about making these easy peasy cheesy sticks is waiting for the dough to be ready. Oh and not eating them all before everyone else gets them :).
I have adapted the recipe from http://www.homecookingadventure.com/recipes/homemade-cheese-sticks.
Hot tip: Let your salted butter soften at room temperature for a while. It will make it more workable.
You will be:
- Making the dough and letting it sit.
- Rolling and cutting the dough.
- Cooking the dough.
- Serving and storing.
You will need:
- 1 egg (beaten) for the dough mix
- 1 egg (beaten) for brushing the dough sticks
- 4 Tbsp salted butter
- 2 Tbsp of garlic infused olive oil (or plain)
- 2 Tbsp cup of milk
- half a small packet of bakers yeast
- 1/2 cup grated cheese (I used cheddar)
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp raw sugar
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- Ground black peppercorns to taste
- 1 fork or whisk to beat the eggs
- 1 fork for mixing the dough mix
- 1 mixing bowl
- A grater for the cheese
- 1 rolling pin
- 1 dough or pizza cutter
- An oven tray lined with baking paper
Making the dough and letting it chill
- Put the 1.5 cups flour into your mixing bowl and mix in the 1/2 tsp raw sugar and 1/2 tsp table salt.
- Drop in the 4 Tbsp salted butter into the bowl and mix in with your hands until you have a slightly crumbly feel.
- Mix in the 1/2 cup grated cheese.
- Beat one of the eggs with the 1/4 cup oil and 1/4 cup milk.
- Add in the yeast to the egg mix and give it a light mixing.
- Make a well in the dough mix and pour the egg mix into it.
- Mix with a fork and then give it a quick kneading (still in the bowl).
- Cover the bowl with a tea towel and pop it into the fridge for a few hours.
Rolling and cutting the dough
- Working with a bit of extra flour to stop everything sticking, roll out the dough and cut into strips using a pizza cutter.
- Put the strips onto an oven tray lined with baking paper (I put a little twist into each for effect).
- Brush a bit of the second beaten egg over all of the twists.
- Sprinkle with pepper, salt, more cheese, Jalapeno Chili Powder etc etc.
Knead, roll and cut:
Brush and garnish:
Cooking the dough
- Pop the twists/sticks into a fan-forced oven (preheated to 180C) and cook for about 20 minutes or until golden.
Serving and storing
They will store well in a Tupperware container or a paper bag for a few days.
Please consider subscribing to a weekly email summary of our posts or check us out on Facebook @growitcatchitcookit.