Gus isn’t claiming this is his own recipe but he baked this awesome flourless cake and I asked him if I could share the recipe with you. You should have seen my toddler’s eyes when he tasted it.
Gus said it was really easy to make (I think he is too modest) but he has a hot tip for the candied orange peel. Never leave candied orange on the burner and get distracted. It doesn’t end well for the pan nor the hob :).
- Baking the cake.
- Making the candied orange topping.
- 180g dark chocolate
- 160g unsalted butter
- 200g almond meal
- 150g caster sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 large orange
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup raw sugar
- 1 bowl to melt the butter and chocolate (or a saucepan)
- 1 bowl for the egg whites
- 1 bowl for the egg yolks
- 2 whisks
- 1 springform cake tin (about 25 -28 cm)
- 1 chopping board
- a peeler or citrus zester
- a long sharp knife
- a small saucepan for the orange peel
Baking the cake
- Heat your oven to 160°C.
- Melt the dark chocolate and butter and mix together, set aside.
- Separate the eggs and in one bowl beat whites until firm peaks form.
- Beat yolks & caster sugar until pale & creamy in another bowl.
- Add slightly cooled chocolate mixture to the egg yolk mixture, fold in gently.
- Add almond meal to this mix, fold in.
- Fold in beaten egg whites, in 2 or 3 lots folding in gently. Tip: always add beaten egg whites in small batches, these add air and support the mix as there is no yeast to leaven the mix. You will find the last lot of egg whites will fold in easily and not have all the air swished out.
- Line the base of a springform cake tin with baking paper, grease base and sides with butter.
- Pour mix in and bake for about 40 min. It should be moist inside with a thin crust that will form cracks.
Making the candied orange topping 🍊
- Wash the orange well.
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel orange, try not to take the white pith. Just get the peel.
- On a board cut the peel strips as thin as possible (this is the time consuming part) but they can be as large as you like.
- In a small saucepan mix equal parts of water and sugar, I usually do half cup of each.
- Heat to dissolve sugar and then add the sliced orange peel.
- Allow to boil and then turn heat down to a simmer.
- Allow to simmer gently for about 30-40 min, liquid will evaporate. I usually add a little more water2 or 3 times while simmering.
- When you are happy it’s “candied” enough take off the heat, allow to cool slightly, it will be very hot and I have learned this the hard way from trying to taste the syrup :).
- Place candied peel on cake. You can also pour the remaining syrup over the cake, it will have a nice orange flavour
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
MORE VEGETARIAN , GLUTEN-FREE INGREDIENTS AND MEALS
Please consider subscribing to a weekly email summary of our posts or check us out on Facebook @growitcatchitcookit.
You can use this like button without having to log in.