Growing up, traditional egg mayonnaise took on an almost mythical status. No salad cream for us.
We bought Heinz Whole Egg Mayonnaise exclusively.
They stopped making it in Australia for a while so we would stock up when we travelled. We even requested care packages from people overseas.
So you understand what it means to me when I say Jamie’s version is every bit as magical!
I also however have a new nemesis in my life, the egg yolk that refuses to thicken. 😮
If that happens try this fix from Kelly the Kitchen Kop’s blog.
- Whisking, lots of whisking
* reduced from original, to make smaller amounts
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 cup olive oil
- A tiny splash of white wine vinegar
- A very generous squirt of fresh lemon juice
- Table salt to taste
- 1 slotted spoon or egg yolk separator
- 1 mixing bowl
- 1 whisk
- 1 serving bowl
Whisking, lots of whisking
- Separate the egg yolk and whisk it in a bowl.
- Add the mustard and whisk together.
- Slowly add half the olive oil, whisking continuously until the mixture thickens.
- Now whisk in a tiny splash of white wine vinegar
- Slowly add the rest of the olive oil, whisking continuously.
- Add salt to taste and also a big slug of lemon juice.
- You could optionally add a tiny bit of raw sugar (my little addition)
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Please consider subscribing to a weekly email summary of our posts or check us out on Facebook @growitcatchitcookit.