The result was amazing and got ticks of approval from my wife who is something of an expert when it comes to this particular sauce.
- I found the original recipe a bit runny so I reduced the amount of water
- You will be whisking slowly for around 10 minutes in my experience
- You can make it taste different every time by mixing up the seasoning
- Contains raw egg
You will be:
- Whisking and whisking some more.
- Seasoning the sauce.
You will need:
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp water
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1 garlic clove (very finely diced)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- lemon juice to taste
- ground sea salt or table salt to tast
- ground black peppercorns to taste
- a long sharp knife
- a chopping board
- a whisk
- a small metal mixing bowl
Whisking and whisking some more
- Pop the egg yolk into the metal mixing bowl.
- Add the:
- 1/4 tsp table salt.
- 1 garlic clove (very finely diced).
- 1 tsp water.
- a tiny amount of the oil.
- Start whisking slowly and don’t stop as you very very very slowly add the rest of the 1/2 cup olive oil.
- Keep whisking until you get a smooth creamy consistency.
A bit of effort but oh so worth it:
Seasoning the sauce
I just used my salt and pepper grinders and a splash of lemon juice until I got the taste I liked. Remember that you will get less of a garlic wallop when combining it with food vs testing it by itself so don’t panic. Unless you love a lot of garlic power and in this case add more next time.