This simple cauliflower and cheese dish is irresistible to children and adults alike. I am always looking for kid friendly meals that require little effort to make. 🙂
Let’s face it, the gooey cheese (grilled to perfection on top) is the best bit, so if you are a vegetarian you could use dairy free cheese, omit the egg and chuck in some chia seeds. It will have a slightly different texture but will be oh so yummy.
You will be:
- Precooking the cauliflower
- Mixing all the ingredients
- Baking for 10 minutes
You will need:
- 1/2 a cauliflower, broken/cut into puffed corn sized pieces
- 1 chicken egg
- 6 sprigs of Mediterranean herbs (I used thyme and tarragon), roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup panko crumbs (breadcrumbs will work too)
- 1/4 cup aged Italian cheese (I used provolone but Parmigiano-Reggiano would rock too), finely grated
- a very generous sprinkle (or two) of Garam Masala
- spray oil
- a long sharp knife
- a chopping board
- a sauce pan or steamer
- a fork or whisk
- a mixing bowl
- an oven tray
- baking paper
Precooking the cauliflower
- I used my hands to twist off the cauliflower florets (aiming for puffed wheat sized chunks) and the knife to chop up the heart.
- Lightly boil or steam the chunks (aiming for a bit of crunch).
Mixing all the ingredients
- Preheat the fan forced oven to 200C.
- Whisk the egg in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix in the:
- 6 sprigs of Mediterranean herbs
- 1/2 cup panko crumbs
- 1/4 cup aged Italian cheese
- Cover an oven tray with baking paper and spray it with a bit of olive oil.
- Spread the cauliflower mix over the tray.
- Sprinkle generously with garam masala.
- Spray again with the olive oil.
Baking for 10 minutes
- Bake for 10 minutes and check the colour.
- The cheese should be melted and slightly golden.
- If you want, use the grill or a chef’s torch.
Goes great with a nice juicy steak. 🙂
Please consider subscribing to a weekly email summary of our posts or check us out on Facebook @growitcatchitcookit.