Julian Mitchell and Ryan Creed are doing amazing things over at LifeCykel. Based in Fremantle, Western Australia and with an ethos of growing food in a sustainable way, they have created the world’s first urban mushroom farm. The amazing thing is that their growing medium is coffee grounds collected from local businesses. They even go one step further and compost the growing medium once it has served its purpose.
Now the lads have a product that allows you to grow your own mushrooms at home whilst leveraging their sustainability efforts. Yesterday my Home Grown Mushroom Box arrived and I got straight into it after work.
I am going to post my progress every few days 🙂
It couldn’t be easier to get going:
- Choose a location out of direct sunlight and heat sources. I chose the bathroom.
- Relocate to the kitchen when your wife says no to the bathroom 🙂
- Remove the recipe panel at the front of the box and cut a cross through the plastic.
- Open the box and remove the free misting bottle and the bag.
- Soak the bag, cut side face down, for 8 to 10 hours. I left mine overnight.
- Drain the excess water and place it back in the box.
- Wait patiently.