I got this Italian styled crumbed and shallow fried chicken breast recipe “Petti di pollo impanati e fritti” from my favourite Italian cooking website Giallo zafferano.
The chicken breast fillets are marinated in lemon juice, olive oil and parsley for several hours and then coated in breadcrumbs.
The result is moist tender chicken with a noticeable citrus taste and aroma. Heaven.
- Marinating the chicken
- Coating the chicken
- Shallow frying
- 1 chef’s knife
- 1 bowl or plastic bag for the marinade
- Several plates
- 1 frypan
- 2 chicken breasts, skinless, cut into 4 fillets length-ways
- Flour, enough to coat the chicken breasts
- breadcrumbs (I used panko)
- 6 Tbsp olive oil
- 60g butter
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp grated parmigiano/parmesan or grana padano (optional)
- Juice of a small lemon
- 1 – 2 Tbsp parsley. finely chopped
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Marinating the chicken
- Combine in a bag (or bowl) the juice of 1 lemon, 4 Tbsp of oil, the chopped parsley and black pepper to taste.
- Add the chicken fillets , close the bag and gently massage it until all the meat is covered by the marinade.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Coating the chicken
- On each plate put the ingredients required to coat the chicken.
- One plate each for the flour, the whisked egg (with finely grated cheese mixed in if you like) and finally the breadcrumbs.
- Place each fillet in the flour and turn it over to coat each side.
- Do the same in the egg and then again in the breadcrumbs.
- Pop the now coated fillets back in the fridge if you are preparing ahead of time.
Note: the crumbed fillets can be frozen at this point.
- Over medium heat melt the butter and oil in a frypan until the butter starts to foam.
- Reduce the heat and cook the crumbed fillets until they are golden brown and cooked through (~10 minutes each side).
My suggestion is to serve them with a green salad and some potato thins. They also make for an awesome chicken and salad sandwich.
Here are some more Italian cooking content and a wide range of chicken recipes :