I am calling this a rapid fire dish because it normally takes about an hour of cooking and 15 minutes to prepare. When I come home from work I often don’t have this amount of time.
So we are going to use a microwave and a hotter than normal oven to cut the cooking time to half an hour at the most. The traditional method also calls for layering the potatoes then pouring the sauce over them in batches. That takes too much time so we are dropping that too. 🙂
- Cutting and cooking the potatoes
- Making the cheesy white sauce
- Baking the potatoes
- 2 cups cheddar, grated
- A handful of Parmigiano-Reggiano or parmesan
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 Tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- A dash of ground nutmeg
- 1 chef’s knife
- 1 chopping board
- 1 bowl
- 1 wooden spoon
- 1 saucepan
- 1 oven dish
Cutting and cooking the potatoes
- Slice the potatoes into discs of about 3-5mm (too thin and the potato tends to fall apart whilst cooking).
- Microwave the potatoes for about 8 minutes on high.
- Test one, they should have just lost or about to lose that crunchy raw taste but not be fully cooked.
- Preheat your fan-forced oven to 200C.
Making the cheesy white sauce
- On your hob slowly melt the 2 Tbsp butter in the saucepan.
- Stir in the 1/4 cup plain flour, a little bit at a time.
- Slowly stir in the 2 cups of milk.
- Mix in the 2 cups grated cheddar, the chives and the sprinkle of nutmeg.
Baking the potatoes
- Spray the oven dish with a bit of spray olive oil.
- Bundle the potato slice in any old way.
- Pour the cheese sauce in and gently combine everything.
- Level the top with the wooden spoon and then cover with shaved parmigiano-reggiano.
- Cook for about 15 minutes, the potatoes should be soft and the cheese golden brown.
- You can pop it under the grill for a few minutes to crisp up the cheese.
This is the perfect side for roasts and steaks. It makes for the best leftovers. 🙂
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Please consider subscribing to a weekly email summary of our posts or check us out on Facebook @growitcatchitcookit.