Meatloaf is a great way to make a little go a long way. I use minced beef, vegetables and cheese to hook my fussy little eaters (lamb, pork, chicken work a treat too). My wife loved it as well, mostly as it is a ‘one pan’ dish!
The broccoli filling was supposed to stay hidden but they were too smart for me. It still worked though thanks to the grilled cheese. 🙂
- Preparing everything
- Making the loaf
- Cooking and grilling the loaf
- 500g beef mince
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 small broccoli head, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 brown onion, diced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 handful of parsley, rough chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely diced
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- Cracked black peppercorns and salt to taste
- Olive oil spray
- 1 chef’s knife
- 1 chopping board
- 1 mixing bowl
- 1 non stick baking tin
- Beat the egg and mix in the 1 Tsbp Worcestershire sauce.
- Chop the broccoli into small pieces and microwave for 1 minute.
- Dice half of a brown onion, store the rest for another day.
- Grate enough cheddar cheese to get 1 cup.
- Roughly chop a handful of parsley and finely dice the garlic clove.
- Mix the above ingredients together in a bowl, sprinkling with salt and pepper as you go.
Making the loaf
- Preheat your fan-forced oven to 180C.
- Put half the mince mix into the bottom of baking tin that you have sprayed with olive oil.
- Tamp it
- Layer the broccoli over this, leaving a gap right around the edges.
- Add a similar layer using half of the grated cheese.
- Top this with the rest of the mince and press down around the edges to make a bit of a seal.
Cooking and grilling the loaf
- Pop the tin into the oven and cook for 30 minutes.
- Cover the mince loaf rest of the grated cheese and grill it until golden brown.
You could just serve it as is thanks to the broccoli filling but we try and use fresh greens from the garden with every meal. 🙂
It makes for the best leftovers and frozen lunches by the way.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Please consider subscribing to a weekly email summary of our posts or check us out on Facebook @growitcatchitcookit.