This simple rice dish is as Indonesian as it gets. It is such a pleasant meal to make and eat. The secrets are the sweet soy sauce used in many Indonesian dishes, ketjap manis, and the addition of a runny fried egg.
Best of all you can make it with any combination of ingredients, even the old veggies in the back of the fridge :).
- Chuck a really good slug of peanut oil in a wok or deep pan.
- Add slices of shallots and 2-3 cloves worth of finely diced garlic and stir fry for a few minutes.
- Throw in a handful each of:
- sliced bacon
- sliced snow peas
- corn kernels
- Add 3-4 Tbsp ketjap manis and 2 Tbsp tomato sauce and stir fry until the bacon is cooked.
- Keep stir frying everything as you mix in 2 cups of previously cooked rice.
- Stop when everything is well mixed and hot.
- Serve with a runny fried egg, chili sauce (I used sriracha) and some coriander leaves.
- See more indonesian cuisine here