This full flavoured vegetable stock is another amazing Italian recipe from giallo zafferano.
It couldn’t get any simpler. The holy trinity of vegetables (onion, carrot and onion) and a tomato is all you need.
- Takes about 20 minutes to prepare and an hour to simmer.
- You will get about 1 – 1.5 litres of stock that keeps for a few days in the fridge and also freezes well.
- Making stock is a great way to use your older veggies up (I even got the tomato I used from the grocer’s seconds bin, talk about thrifty).
- Preparing the vegetables
- Sieving the broth
- 1 chef’s knife
- 1 fry pan
- 1 large sauce pan or stock pot
- Small meshed sieve/strainer
- 2L water
- 2 celery sticks, halved
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 brown onion, halved
- Salt to taste
- Black peppercorns (whole) to taste
Preparing the vegetables
- Peel the onion then slice in half.
- Splash a bit of olive oil in a stock pot and cook the inside face of onion halves until slightly charred.
- Remove the onion carefully and wipe the stock pot free of oil with a cloth or paper towel.
- Return the onion to the pot.
- Roughly chop the 2 celery sticks and the carrot.
- Halve the tomato.
- Chuck the lot into the pot along with 2L of water, salt to taste and a sprinkle of whole peppercorns.
Bring to to a rolling boil and then simmer on low heat for about an hour, stirring occasionally.
Sieving the broth
Use a small meshed sieve or strainer to remove the vegetables.
Here are some more Italian cooking secrets and uses for stock :