When trying to keep to a low carb diet you’ll probably find yourself eliminating some of your favourite dishes.
Like tacos but not the carbs? Me too and by following this recipe you’ll be able to have your cake (or in this case taco haha) and eat it too.
Using cheese instead of processed taco shells keeps the carbs low while maintaining an incredible richness and flavour.
1. Place a square of cheese (I just used cheddar slices) or a sprinkling of grated cheese into a square shape on a lined baking tray.
2. Bake at 180° for 8-10 minutes but make sure to watch them as they can turn quickly and cooking times may vary.
3. Once they have browned slightly and bubbled remove from the oven. You must use extra care during the next stage as the cheese will be very hot.
4. While they are still warm and pliable, remove from the baking paper and lay over either a pasta rack or makeshift rack using mugs and cooking utensils.
5. Allow them to cool on the rack to form a taco shape.
6. Serve with your favourite taco toppings. My favourite is lettuce first as this helps trap some of the juices (the cheese taco is holey so will make some mess) and then taco mince, cheese, avocado and sour cream.
Here are some more of Welchy’s recipes and simple to prepare fare: