This pulled pork recipe couldn’t get any easier, unless, the slow cooker also chopped the onions and garlic for you. If only there was a machine on the market that did everything 😉
The night I cooked it I made pulled pork rolls (see the end of this post). We loved the nice change to Taco night that the leftovers made.
- Takes about 8 hours in your slow cooker.
- Adjust the amount of chili powder to taste of course (I use Kashmiri chilis as they are flavoursome and smokey rather than overly spicy).
- If you like this you will love Grochow’s BBQ Pulled Pork
You will be:
- Sautéing the vegetables.
- Preparing and cooking the pork.
- Pulling and serving the pork.
You will need:
- Several chopping boards
- A Chef’s knife
- A medium sized bowl
- Paper towel
- 2 forks for pulling the meat apart
- 1 serving dish for mixing and serving the pulled pork and broth
Sauteing the vegetables
- Finely slice the 2 brown onions as if you were making onion rings.
- Mince your 4 cloves of garlic, no need to be too even or fine.
- Turn your slow cooker onto high and layer the onions and garlic, covering the base fully.
- Add the 1 cup chicken stock and cover. This will get the onions and garlic slowly softening up.
Preparing and cooking the pork
- Make a dry tub by mixing in a bowl:
- 1 Tbsp ground rock salt
- 1 Tbsp raw sugar
- 1 tsp powdered kashmiri chilis
- A generous amount of Garam Masala
- Pat the pork dry with paper towel then liberally coat with the dry rub.
- Work the dry rub into the knooks and crannies.
- Pop the pork on top of the onion and garlic bed.
- Cover and cook for about 8 hours (I turned it halfway through).
- Make sure the meat is cooked thoroughly and is falling apart when you pull at it with a fork.
Pulling and serving the pork
- Remove the flap of pork fat and discard.
- Pull apart the pork using the forks and place it in the serving dish.
- Bit by bit add the remaining liquid from the slow cooker, mixing as you go, to the dish until you have the consistency you desire.
- Add any extra sauces or mustards now if you want but I prefer to add condiments to the pork on a dish by dish basis.
I loved pulled pork burgers more than anything!
Here are some additional slowcooker recipes and pork ideas:
Please consider subscribing to a weekly email summary of our posts or check us out on Facebook @growitcatchitcookit.